SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services

Since this has taken me four days to solve this one and, with almost no help from Google, I thought I'd log it here in case anyone else has this most bizarre problem.

Scenario: You retrospectively install Reporting Services to an existing installation of SQL Server 2008. You try to configure it using "Reporting Services Configuration Manager" and as soon as you click "Find" you get "Invalid Class"1 and no other information.



These two links gave me the clue, they're essentially both the same. What they say is to run WBEMTEST3 and connect to the Reporting Services WMI thingy.


Then run the query, "SELECT * FROM __NAMESPACE". When I did this I got:

Note: TWO entries. The second one was a test database I had installed months ago and had removed at some point when I worked out that using the default instance of MSSQLSERVER was more convenient - but the registry(?) entries were still hanging around. I selected it by clicking on the offending entry and simply clicked "Delete"
2 and then, bingo, the RS Config Manager sprang into action.


1I created the message box for this blog entry using VB.NET as I'd already fixed the problem and didn't want to recreate it.

2Blah, blah, blah, I take no responsibility for anyone cocking up a production environment and losing your company millions in downtime.

3Start / Run / WBEMTEST

Comments

Unknown said…
nice solution. works for me.
SQL server 2008 standart edition.

Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...