"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

OK, so we upgraded our server farm and put on the latest "stuff" (SSRS, SQL Server etc.) and the engineers gave me two servers to play with - SQL01 & SQL02. The idea being that we used high availability to help keep the factory running.

We employed a contractor to load up and configure everything. At this point I wasn't involved. My involvement was to move all the reports and subscriptions from the old servers to the new ones once the servers had been configured.

All went swimmingly, until I actually started to fire off the subscriptions to test them. Randomly (like 5 out of 10) I got the error in the title. I would edit the failing subscription and/or change the schedule time and it would work.

I finally got around to moving 81 subscriptions for the same report (all slightly different parameters going to about 6 different engineers). I press the "go" button and every single one failed.

Let's cut out the long story about how I went through about a week of Googling with no luck going down blind alleys. Most posts had the same error as I, and the answer was either "not answered" or some random bollocks about editing "rsreportserver.config" to remove some SharePoint entry - that entry I did not have. Thanks. 

The nearest (concise) post to my issue is this one:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31249040/ssrs-email-subscription-delivery-extension-error

This mentioned "scale out deployment". 

It turns out that the SSRS email configuration on SQL02 had not been set up. It was as simple as that.


 

Check the email configuration of BOTH servers:

 
I also ensured that the Service Account and the Execution Accounts were the same, but not sure if that is relevant in this case.

What of course was happening was that SQL01 was palming off some of the reports to SQL02 to run - hence the apparent randomness of failure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services