Tell me something I didn't know

We ordered a nice display cabinet from Argos last December. We spent *weeks* choosing the one we wanted. Its primary purpose was to hold the drinks that were cluttering up the kitchen worktops - the bottles were moved when the original 25 year old unit fell apart last year.

It arrived today, and I watched the men carefully carry it in from the lorry into my lounge. They didn't hit anything and I didn't move it later. You can probably see where this is going can't you?

I unwrapped the bottom half, moved it into position and adjusted the bottom doors and fitted the handles to perfection. I unwrapped the top half and upon removing the last bit of protective cardboard found a dent in the top rail.

I planned a strategy that went along the lines of "Hello, my unit's bust you bastards, send out another by tomorrow or else, or, you can refund me the price for the top half."

**ring** **ring**

"Hello, this is Neil, how may I help you with your Argos Order?"
"Err, hi Neil, my unit's damaged"
"OK, we'll refund and collect, or we'll replace it."
(pause)
"Ah, we no longer sell that in the new catalogue, and, we don't have any stock anywhere. You can choose another unit from the catalogue, or a refund. That's your choice matey"
"OK, I'll get back to you."

I found a telephone number hidden on a label at the back of the unit.

I went to Plan B.

I'd phone the makers and get a new rail sent out and charge it to Argos. But, to be fair, Neil did half-mention that as an option.

I continued to assemble the unit - which involved struggling to put the top onto the bottom. I again carefully adjusted the top doors and cleaned off the tiny bits of sprue left by the careless idiots at the factory. Having finished I took a step back and looked at it objectively. It's not too bad, but their quality control department is probably run by goldfish on drugs.

"What do you think?", I asked the wife.
"It's OK, if we can fix the rail it'll be lovely, I've just had a look at the new catalogue and there's nothing I like."
"Good job we've decided not to send it back then. Go get the drink fair maiden..."

"Ah"
"What?"
"The shelves don't adjust and the bottles don't fit"
"Bugger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services