My TV blew up - excellent!

10 years ago I bought an Hitachi TV from Currys. It was superb, brilliant picture and so on. The only problem with it was that because it was a traditional CRT, it was as deep as it was wide, oh, and damn well heavy. Time passes and LCD TV's and FreeSat came along - and so did the Panasonic Vieras. "I want one of those", I said to my long suffering wife, "but I can't justify the cost when the TV I have is so good!"

I kept tabs on the price (as you do) and eventually they hit rock bottom at about £699 what with the crap pound/yen exchange rate an' all that - or should that be dong?

Last Thursday the Hitachi expired, not in a blaze of glory or anything to signify the end of a glorious career, it just failed to turn on. The little red light came on and then off and that was that.

I rubbed my hand with glee - "YES!" The Panasonic beckoned.

My wife glanced over from making tea, "Why can't we just get it repaired like we did 5 years ago? It looks like the same thing that's gone wrong."
"I think you've missed the point"
"Is that the same point why you sold the Mustang and bought the smart?"
"Not quite, but if it helps, then, yes"

I went into Currys at lunchtime armed with a vicious looking credit card and headed straight to the TV section. OMG! They've all gone! I plucked up courage, drew breath and asked a shop assistant. "Um, where are the Vieras?", amazingly enough, I got the only employee in the shop who actually knew anything, "The Panasonics are over here, we've got the new V10 & G10 models in now and the one that replaces the one you want is over £1,000."

(oh shit)

More than a little stunned, I wandered about in a daze amongst racks of flat-screens all showing Wayne Rooney being tripped by Renaldo, followed by an advert as to why you should buy Sky.

And there, in a corner, all by itself with a little tag saying "Manager's Clear-out" was the last TX32 in the shop with a price of £599. "I'll take that please", "Certainly sir, that'll be £499, I know it says £599, but computer says different. Are you taking it now? I'll bubble wrap it for you, does it matter that there's no box? Do you want the 5 year guarantee? What's your postcode? Do you want any old crap sent through the post or email address?"

"Shut the f'up and just help me carry it to my car will you"

Ah.

Bollox.

I'm in the smart, I'd have got it in the Mustang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services