Mustang 0, BD Engineering 10

I'm really not sure how to start this one. I went to my local tuning bloke on Monday who had a novel approach to the now infamous Mustang crap fuel economy and no power problem.

"Lets start from square one", he said, checking the oil, "lets see what the engine is actually telling me, rather than what the computer is. I'm not that familiar with V8 SEFI yanks by the way". Well, you're the only bloke left in the South Of England with any idea at all so, carry on.

He attached a lot of leads to the engine and shoved a pipe up one of the exhausts. It looked like a scene from "ER". After pressing a lot of buttons he came to the conclusion that there was, in fact, absolutely nothing wrong with the engine per-se. He even checked the timing.

"13 degrees BTDC", he remarked
"Yup that's about right for tick over", I replied, "By the way, if you remove this thing called a SPOUT connector, you can check the static timing."
"Oh really."

I had to leave the building when he ran it up on the dyno, something to do with Health & Safety he said. What's so dangerous about a 5 litre, 225 BHP engine running in top gear at 4,000 rpm on a small roller? Beats me.

Eventually he called me back in.

"Umm, I removed that connector thingy, and my Sun gear reckons the timing is 0 degrees."
"Can't possibly be, I checked it myself"
"OK, let's do it the hard way", and promptly removed #6 spark plug and shoved a small screwdriver down the hole.
"OK, that's at TDC, where's the mark now?"

"Oh, that mark, the one with '10' on it, not that other one with '10' on it too?"
"No, that's the 0 degree line, not a '1'"
"Bugger."

He skillfully set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC with a deft twist of the dizzy. I left the building again.

"OK, before, 152 BHP at the back wheels, now 182. That's 47 quid, have a nice day."

"By the way, you need to top up the oil."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services