Thunderbird is go...

An odd thing just happened. A while back I thought I'd shove two fingers up to Microsoft and stop using their illegal software that I'd ripped off1 a while back ("that'll teach 'em", I thought). So I uninstalled Micro$oft Office and got a nice copy of OpenOffice 2.something.

Anyway, I imported all the Outlook stuff into Thunderbird. It all worked beautifully (apart from the fact that I can't get mail merge to merge labels using a CSV file) and merrily got on with typing e-mails. Everything was lovely, except that when I pressed "Send" it kept coming up with the "Please enter password" box and then failed to "SMTP" correctly. If I repeatedly pressed "Send" eventually it would send the mail without me having entered anything. It was completely random. Sometimes it would work, more often than not, I would have to have about 10 attempts to send.

The "Outgoing Server" setting was just fine, it had my account name in it and everything.

I was at the point of going back to Outlook, but for some really strange reason, I decided to remove the username from the form by un-checking the "Use name and password" check box.

Now it works. First time, every time.

Why?


1Not really, I bought a very old copy a long time ago and thought it was time to upgrade. Hey ho, can't admit to piracy now can I?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services