Farmilee Treez

There are times when you just feel like running around the house naked shouting "yes, YES!"1.

Last night was such a time. Now, I was on my own and I didn't get naked however, but I did run around shouting "yes, oh yes!"2.

You see my Mom never knew her grandparents because (according to family legend) they died when her mother was only 3 years old, and consequently her Mom never knew them either. So sadly the family tree has looked like this for some considerable time now:


Searching for gran's name has only ever turned up the one census record after she was living with her uncle (noted as "niece") and logically, as she was born in 1882 then there would be no census records for 1881 (not born yet) and 1891 (both parents already dead).

I did some lateral thinking and (eventually) came up with searching for anyone in Wolverhampton born in 1882 whose name began "A* L*" and there, at the top of the list, was gran - but both her first AND last names spelt incorrectly although phonetically accurate.

I selected the appropriate census record to find her at the very top noted as "dau"3 (daughter). That was the "YES!" moment, rapidly followed with "f***" - her parents were on the previous census sheet which I'm not going to find as I don't know who to search for. I noticed the URL on the address bar was http://www..../image/e1891image/9485?searchhistorykey=... and took a flier that the previous image might be "9484".

There they were.

It's only taken me 35 years of IT training to come up with that...

1Not what you think, stick to the story.
2It was just then that my wife's friend rang - I think she may have got the wrong of the stick though.
3Yes, I know, that makes her 8, not 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services