Wireless Networks

Last week, I thought I'd go up-market and buy a wireless router to replace the wired network I had installed previously. No problems, just plug it in and Bob's Your Auntie. My daughter came upstairs and asked "Have you just done something, my laptop has just spotted a wireless network?".

"This is easy", I thought, "now I'll just turn on my wife's laptop and away we all go".

That was last Wednesday.

I tried everything I could think of to get the damn thing to work, but each time, the "gui" thing kept saying "no network, RF OFF" and the like even though Winwods could see the card etc etc. I downloaded the latest drivers - even taking the back off the laptop to get the chip serial number off the w/lan card. In a fit of pique, I by-passed the problem and bought a USB dongle and, hey presto, it all worked. However I was still annoyed that a new laptop should be bust. I mailed the Laptop Support People yesterday (Sunday) to see what they had to say.

Here's the reply:-

"I am sorry that you are having problems with the laptop. the first thing that you should check is the wireless switch on the laptop. on the front of the laptop there is a small switch to turn the wireless on and off, is this on?"

Oops. Anyone want a dongle? Used once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services