Currys and the Internet

Gad, don't ya lurv the Internet? Last Friday, my 10 year old video recorder went T/U and the head failed (I think, never mind, any excuse). Now, I'm off to see Mom in Wolverhampton over the weekend and will therefore miss Doctor Who - and we can't have that can we? So armed with some money left over from the Aunt's Inheritance I trot off to my local Currys Electrical store to see what they've got. After much avoidance of "The Vamp" (different story and will be told sometime) I get someone who actually knows what they're on about and I eventually buy a "LiteON LVW-1106HC+" DVD recorder.

"Hi I want to buy a DVD recorder please"
"Which one?"
"I was looking at the cheaper end of the market, what's wrong with, say, this Goodmans?"
"They're crap mate"

So I choose the silver fronted (on-offer-for-£20-less-that-the-black-one) LiteON. I get it home and find the box contains the black fronted one - result. Anyway, having dismantled the entire rats nest of cabling behind the TV stand, I realise that I've also got a nice Sony DVD player which needs fitting into the equation. My wife was watching me do all this will some suspicion.

"Um, does this new thingy play DVD's as well?"
"Of course, how do you think it plays the things it's just recorded?"
"So, why do you need to put the Sony back then?"
"Ah."

(long muttering and reassembly later)

"Bollocks, now there's a pity"

The new player is Region Two only and won't play the various other region DVD's I've got.

"Hello Google, please tell me about handset hacks for LiteON"

(much, much searching later)

With no disk in the machine, press "SETUP", highlight "EXIT", press "2 9 6 0" and then "ENTER" to enable the hidden region switching menu. This works (apparently) for most later LiteON (and ILO) player/recorders.

Ta da.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/buyerguides/dvdrecorders/liteontips.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services