London To Brighton - ii

Well, I did it. I did the London To Brighton Cycle Ride last Sunday on behalf of Demelza House Children's Hospice, and to be honest, it was a bit, well, uninspiring.

It was quite simply 4,000(ish) people cycling from London To Brighton - and not much else. There simply wasn't the comradery that I expected. Not many people took the time to pass the time, they just got on with it. "Nooo, look straight ahead, ignore the old chap trying to make conversation!"

This had the result of half of the 4,000 simply getting in the way (and me getting in the way of the other half).

It was fairly obvious that a lot of people had only bought a bike the week before and were probably regretting it. I have never known so many people walking their bikes on the flat. The slightest incline brought them all to a grinding halt.

At some point after about 10 miles, my cycle computer stopped working, which was annoying to say the least. I didn't realise how much I used it.

The first real hill was Turners Hill just before the lunch stop. Due to said 2,000 people having a rest at the top of the hill, the "go left here to lunch stop" arrows were completely obscured and many people went straight on and missed lunch altogether. Oh well, more for us lot.

My goal was NOT to walk up Ditchling Beacon. The organisers had somehow manage to get the road closed - which was a good thing as 3,900 people were now walking up the hill. Just as I was about get off and walk (it really is quite tough) I spotted my cycling buddy walking up ahead. He was one of the ones who missed lunch and was therefore an hour ahead. "Ah, I'm glad I found you, I bought you some lunch...".

Please don't ask how I managed to get a piece of wonderfully gooey Carrot Cake, two packets of crisps & an apple in the saddle bag without getting covered in cake, or indeed, grinding the crisps to powder. Oh, and a spoon.

Whilst waiting for my comrade to finish his snack a young chap stopped his bike and got (well, fell) off. "That's it, I've had enough!". I looked at him. "I'm 60 years old mate. I have ridden to here and I'll ride to the top!". He looked at me, sighed and got back on again.

"Excellent. I think I'll take up motivational speaking."
"I wouldn't, you may have just killed him."




As I said, I broke my cycle computer. I'll never know if I made it to the top.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services