Brasil VI - Where I want to end it all

Brasil is pretty much the only holiday from which, on the flight back, I have tried to work out how I was going to go back there.

When we first arrived it seemed like pretty much the same as any "Mediterranean" country. Where was the "I'm in South America" feeling? Where were the Amazonian Native Indians? Where were all the exotic birds and animals? And in particular, where were all the Brazilian Wandering Spiders?

I then realised that Brasil is as large as the United States and at least maybe I shouldn't worry about the spiders.

On the second day there we were taking breakfast on the veranda when this turned up:


Possibly a Swallow-Tailed Hummingbird


Every morning he (or she) would have his breakfast from the hibiscus flowers and move on.


I started to feel less, um, well, cheated and started to warm to the place! A few days later we went on a "Beach Buggy Safari". Which consisted of all of us piling into a VW engined buggy and being driven 30k down the beach (and back) dodging the surf, rocks, wildlife and local fishermen. I started to get worried when the driver took us to the edge of this:


Not the Rio Grande (but closed enough, near Genipabú)


This guy is the boatman, and simply punts the car across the river using nothing but that pole - there is no engine. This isn't just a tourist thing either, the locals use it, included the police. Which brings to mind whether they have car chases across it.

"Faster Manuel, they're gaining on us"
"I'm punting as hard as I can, sir"

I tried to work out just why I like Brasil. The climate, the serenity of it all, the wildlife? Nope, above all though, I think it's because of the people:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services