Sense Of Humour Bypass

As hinted in this blog entry I am currently engaged in a, err, discussion, with a certain Debt Collection Agency acting on behalf of Euro Car Parks. I say "discussion", but as of to date it's been a complete ignore of their threatening letters. My son received one the other week - "You owe us £100, but we'll reduce it to £70 if you pay up now else we may take you to court". It is of course total bollocks. If you feel like an interesting hour or two, Google for "Euro Car Parks Scam". Anyhoo, that's not the point of this post. Oh no.

I thought it was time that I stopped it and replied with a letter sort of pointing out what the law actually states (or, I believe actually states having read all these forums ;-) )

...The contract is between the land owner and driver of th
e vehicle, not the registered keeper. If you can provide me with irrefutable proof of who the driver was, then I may be able to help you. For this piece of advice I have charged you £100. For writing this letter I have charged you £25. Your account now stands at £125, which must be paid within 30 days, which are my terms and conditions. If you contact me again, I will take that as you having agreed to my T&C's...

I sent the letter recorded delivery. A fortnight passed, and my son got a red "sorry you were out" note from the PO yesterday.


I started to panic a little as the normal scam letters and telephone calls appear on a regular two-weekly basis and this fell into that sequence. I convinced myself that it was nothing to do with this as the note was addressed to his short name rather than his full
name that came from the DVLA details that these sharks had paid £2.50 for.

My son went into town to collect the item. I still had to be really sure and texted him: "Please let me know what's in the letter"

About 30 minutes later I got a text: "It's that 25 quid you asked for in the letter". Holy cr*p! Does that me they did a subtract and just paid up? Have they stopped chasing him? Are they actually going to take him to court? My heart rate now was about 140.

I rang him up.

"WTF is that all about!? Who's the cheque made payable to?"

"It's my PS3 controller I ordered off eBay."

Not a threatening letter or cheque.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services