Sacré Bleu, what eez zat?

The roadie performed faultlessly last week when we drove down to and toured Brittany. I was surprised at the amount of attention it got from the locals - many of them doing the usual peering inside with their hands shielding their eyes from the reflection in the glass and then going around the back to see what the make was. We even got the classic "peer-and-shrug" from one them: (peer) "Qu'est-ce que c'est alors?" (shrug) "Je ne sais pas..."

We stopped in a gite on a farm and the owner (whose first language was Breton and spoke pidgin French) asked to look at the engine. "What did he say?" asked my wife. "Dunno, something about a suitcase, I think."

I don't speak French that well. I can order a beer and a meal, but that's about it. I was wondering how to sum up a roadie to a local in one word if asked. I eventually worked it out - "inattendu"

Unexpectedly changing gear.
Unexpectedly not accelerating when it really needs to now.
Unexpectedly swapping ends on a roundabout.
Unexpectedly doing 56mpg at 130kph.
Unexpectedly murdering the budgies next door (oops, sorry, different fantasy...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services