Battleships were built in Herne Bay

My retired parents-in-law decided that living in London no longer had the charm that it used to(!) and took the (IMHO) brave step of up-ing sticks, leaving their friends and moving to near Herne Bay. We were "volunteered" into helping clean over the weekend in readiness for the furniture turning up on the following Monday.

My father-in-law (under *strict* instructions to remove a built-in wardrobe from the 2nd bedroom, soon-to-be the dining room) asked me to give him a hand.

I arrived at 10:00am and he had started at 08:00am.
"I've managed to get the doors off" he remarked, "it's almost a crime to take this apart!".
"What can be hard about smashing out a bit of chipboard?"
"Err, it ain't chipboard son, it's 5/8" timber..."

I have never seen construction like it: 3" wood screws every 6", mortice and tenon joints for the frames and marine ply used as a skin which was glued on using Araldite. Whoever did the job was an expert.

"'Ere, it's not holding up the bungalow is it?", I asked. Just for a brief moment, FIL paused and thought for a second.

"I don't think so."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services