Devon? London? Who cares?

I don't know if this is funny or not, I guess you had to have been there - but here goes anyway.

A bit of background: We've just gone through a fairly extensive "restructuring" process (yes, you can read "redundancies" if you like) and one of the things everyone had to do was to "register an interest" for a particular job that's on offer (aka apply for your own job). Even the senior management had to do this.

Prior to all this happening were several "restructuring" announcements (read "redundancies") a while back. I won't go into why it was a complete f***-up but suffice to say there was no HR presence, because "everything was going to be alright".

Crucially, the important bit was the announcement that the Devon office was going to close and "everyone one had a job" so long as they moved to Wales. In their defence, HR were at that meeting.

Anyhoo, last Friday one of the ladies in the office was on the phone and dissolved into hysterical laughter. She was talking to Gary
1. Earlier that morning Gary was minding his own business when a woman walked into his office at 09:30 and sat down.

"Hello, who are you?" (He *really* had no idea who she was).
"Oh, I'm Yvette
1" (possibly not her real name, I haven't decided yet) "I'm the Divisional HR Manager, I'm here to see the IT Director as we're doing all the senior IT interviews in a row here. Oh, this office is nice - I've never been here before!"
"Oh, right. I wasn't aware he was coming here today. Want a cup of tea?"

...time passes...

"Funny, he's not here yet, can I make a phone call?"
"Knock yourself out."
"Holy shit!"

Yvette was last seen screaming up the M5.

Gary works in the soon-to-be-closed Devon office, the interviews were in the London Office, 3½ hours away.



1Nope, I had to give in and use aliases... You never know who reads this stuff ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services