Valley Of The Kings and Old Women

Yet another check box on my "things to do before I die" list was to visit the Valley Of The Kings. I guess it's to do with learning about Tutankhamen at school. So yet another early start, not because of the travelling distance but because the valley gets *so* hot you need to have done it by 09:30 else it's deep-fried Mars Bar time.

Even at 07:30 it's hot - 'kin hot in fact. The valley is just rock and sand with absolutely nothing there except several holes in the wall and a few sun-shelters. Sadly, because people can't be trusted NOT to take flash photos in the tombs, they've stopped all cameras going in period. So, I stole this off the net (sorry):


Now I have to admit to being a tad unwell due to too much food/beer night before and after visiting my first oven, sorry, tomb (KV 14 - Tausert and Setnakht), I was stopped by impaired breathing and a general "I'm going to die" feeling. I sat down in the shade outside KV47 (Siptah). One of the two elderly ladies of our party (described as a "game old bird") sat down beside me, asked me if I was OK and said, "I'm going to go down, but I think I'll stop at the bottom for a rest". I don't think that's a good idea love, 'cos they won't let you out again...



We were herded back onto the bus and went off to visit The Temple Of Hatshepsut.


I only found out this later, but this was the scene of an horrific massacre of 63 people on 17th November 1997, for the first time during the holiday there wasn't an AK47 in sight...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services