Help, my life is flashing away before my eyes.

So, this is Christmas
And what have you done?
Another year over
And a new one just begun

Yoko Ono; John Lennon.

Yes. That's just how I feel! 

On the plus side, I bought a new car, like, brand new and I've never, ever, done that before. It's a Dacia Duster Laureate 4x4. I picked it up Christmas Eve, just after "the storm" the night before. The interesting part was getting out of the village that morning to pick it up - a tree has fallen across our street which I had to cut out of the way with a hand-saw, then the main road blocked with a *huge* fallen tree, the back road blocked with a fallen power line and the only other road out was flooded to about 7"; which caused some concern when the vehicle we were using was a smart roadster which holds you bum about 2" off the tarmac.

We got back from the dealer1 ("don't worry sir, you don't need to run it in") and I settled down to read the owner's manual. Five minutes later the power went out for 15 hours, coming on again at about 8:00am Christmas Morning - just in time for folks to save their freezers and start their turkeys off. We weren't worried as, in a change from tradition, dinner was "on the in-laws". I wasn't bothered about the £50 worth of meat, just about the £0.50 worth of tomatoes that I'd grown over the summer.

We set off for dinner and I figured that it might be a good idea to take it easy for a bit and drive steadily irrespective of what the dealer man had said. Eventually after a week running around the country and visiting folk, we returned home having covered about 800 miles.

I settled down to read the manual. "If you have a diesel engine, then run it in for 900 miles at no more than 2,500 rpm".

I think I will ring up the dealer tomorrow and have a word...

1The story about my wife not having a license on her can wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services