"The Luckiest Traveller"

I could have entitled this "The Most Stupid Traveller" too. It was my turn to visit my mother yesterday to check she was OK. Yesterday was, of course, the end of the school year and, the worst day (to date) this year for rain. I drove to the West Midlands without any trouble - apart from zero-visibility-from rain on the M6 at some points. Prior to returning, I checked the travel news:

"M40 blocked southbound, M1 blocked southbound at J10, M5 blocked everywhere, M4 blocked east bound..." etc etc etc. After about 30 minutes of sheer desperation staring at Ceefax, one of them changed:

"M1 J10 easing" - that'll do Donkey, and I set off. The journey was fine apart from a) J10 M6 onslip closed for roadworks (ha ha, didn't spot that one did you Mr Garmin?). b) The first 80 miles of zero-visibility in spray. c) Possibly exceeding an average of 50mph through the Luton Roadworks (I'll have to wait and see) and, d) Fine up until J5 of the M2 which they'd decided to close down to one lane coast bound (don't these people know about school holidays?).

Anyway, the point is, is that the only passable route anywhere in Britain on Friday (20/07) appeared to be the M1 southbound. This morning I read horror stories about people being stuck on the M5 for 6 hours last night and a significant number of towns and villages being under various feet of water.

I consider myself lucky.

I wondered at what point do you give up, turn off the engine and SatNav, settle down staring at the number plate in front and make bets with the driver next to you as to when the Sally Army will come with cups of tea and blankets?

"In 0 feet, turn, off engine, ha, ha, ha, ha, h" (click).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The delivery extension for this subscription could not be loaded" when using SSRS

Oooh, look, an Eagle...

SQL Server 2008 / Reporting Services